Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Home Sweet Rome!





The Colesseum


The Roman Forum  

Home Sweet Rome!


The Pantheon!
This past weekend Emily and I had the opportunity to go to ROME for a few days!  We flew out from Thessaloniki Friday afternoon and landed in Rome in time to explore the city before dark.  And by explore I mean eat lots of pasta and drink lots of wine. I definitely ate more bruschetta than I saw monuments but I am more than okay with that!


We flew through RyanAir for less that 100 euro per person round trip and stayed in a hostel/B&B on Via Del Corso, a street in the center of the Roman historical district (between Porta del Popolo—the gate to the city---and the Piazza Venezia) for less than 100 euro for two people the ENTIRE weekend.  It was the perfect location and price for two young travelers.  We were able to walk to every monument we wanted to see. Emily and I never even purchased or looked at a map. We just kind of wandered and asked for directions in broken English, Greek, and Italian when necessary.


The piazza opposite the Pantheon!
On our first evening we decided to hop from bistro to bistro to pig out. At our second stop, we sat next two an older couple from Texas in Rome for a cruise. We had a lovely talk about Italy and Greece. They found out I was from Kentucky and it turns out that they raise Arabians and Saddlebreds. They told us that they had been married for over 49 years, have no kids, and are traveling the world. Then they bought our dinner.  What a small sweet world we live in.


What We Saw:

We started out Saturday morning looking for the Trevi Fountain. Emily was convinced that this was her opportunity to throw in a coin for true love. Unfortunately for her, and every other tourist in Rome it seemed by the size of the crowd, the Trevi Fountain is under construction and has been completely dried up and blocked off for tourists. Emily was devastated. She had planned her entire trip around going to this one site only to be left disappointed.


The oculus of the rotunda.
Inside the Pantheon
After being let down by the fountain, I navigated our way to the Pantheon. I’ve always been a big nerd for historical churches and after reading Dan Brown’s conspiracy theories involving the site I knew I had to see it. For those that don’t know, the Pantheon was originally built around 100 AD as a temple for all of the Roman Gods to replace another more ancient temple. The columns and the inscription from the first structure still stands and the rotunda was added in the remodel. After 600AD the Byzantine emperor converted the building into a church and removed all of the sculptures and carvings glorifying the Roman Gods. The structure of the building looks very similar to the Rotunda in the center of Thessaloniki although it was build several hundred years later. I read that one of the most unique and fascinating things about the building’s architecture is that if the dome were flipped upside down, it would fit exactly into the sanctuary.  Also, the oculus at the top of the building was never closed so rain would fall directly into the building and was then drained into pipes. I was definitely geeking out about the math involved in constructing a building as symmetrical and complex as the Pantheon.


The Venezia Palace in Piazza de Venezia.
The Pantheon still functions as a church and is also the burial site of THE Raphael and the first Italian king Vittorio Emanuele II. And it was free admission!


Later we walked to the Piazza Venezia next to Trajan’s Forum. The piazza is named after the palace built by Cardinal Venezia. The building was finished in the 15th century and belonged to Pope Paul II.  It was the home of the popes until Pope Pius IV. Then it was an embassy and eventually taken over by Mussolini. I read that Mussolini would give speeches from the palace balcony. Now it’s a museum.


Next we strolled past Trajan’s Forum on a quest to acquire more pasta and wine. This used to be Rome’s central area of trade and lawmaking in the second century AD. I wish we had spent more time reading about the forum but pasta and bruschetta were really our priority at the time.


Outside of the Palace Venezia.
After eating a small mountain of bread, pasta, mushrooms, and gelato, Emily and I rolled on down to the Colosseum. Most people know that the Colosseum hosted live entertainment for the Romans and their emperors like bullfighting, gladiator fighting, races, and executions. Staged hunts took place using live animals and convicts. It was also the site of many staged dramas or reproductions of battle scenes. The structure is enormous—the largest amphitheatre in the world. The stage floor has been removed and the “backstage” (holding cells) are exposed. The seating at the Colosseum was constructed based on the Roman class system. The closer to the stage, the more important you were. Now the Colosseum is part of the Roman Catholic Church and is still used for religious ceremonies—the more you know...


Next we went to the Palantine Hill, the supposed site of the cave that Romulus and Remus were raised by a she-wolf. We also went to the Roman Forum in the valley between Venezia and the Colosseum. This area was the urban center and central square of Rome. The entire area was full of markets, temples, inns, and government buildings. This is one of places that the Senate would gather, making it one of the hearths of democracy. When you picture Ancient Rome this is what you imagine. Now all that remains are ruins and a few Corinthian columns. You have to use your imagination to fill in the blanks.


The Colosseum
After that, Emily and I decided that we should probably eat more pasta soon so we returned to the hostel to change and set out looking for a place to gorge on all that Italy had to offer. So we ate. A LOT. And were in bed by ten like the old maids that we are.


In the morning we packed up and drank coffee and ate pizza for breakfast. We shopped and walked around, looking at fountains and wishing that we lived in Rome instead of Greece.  We ended up at the Villa Borghese Gardens where we put roses in our hair and laid in the sun while I read a book aloud. Then we headed back to airport for our flight back to Thessaloniki. It was a wonderful trip and a great punctuation on our first month student teaching.  I would love to go back and have time to tour the Vatican City or take a trip to Florence or Naples. Emily has decided to start applying to international schools in and around Rome. Maybe I’ll do that too when I finish at UK!


Villa Borghese Gardens
The Italian flag.
Fine Italian dining right here.










No comments:

Post a Comment