Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Cats in Greece are Feral

Things I have learned the hard way:


-Pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way. EVER. You will get hit by a car and no one will care.

-Bringing your own bags to the grocery is WEIRD. And don't you ever do it again.

-Although it looks identical to the regular water, do not accidentally buy carbonated water. It's gross and weird and who even wants bubbly water anyway?

-The cats here are feral. So do not try to be their friend and play with them in the garden. They will attack.

-Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) smokes in Greece. People will be power walking down the boardwalk with a water bottle and a cigarette. It may be counterintuitive but no one seems to care.

-I'm pretty sure I am the only redhead in Thessaloniki. I couldn't figure out why people kept looking at me funny until I realized the weren't looking at my face but at my hair. I read somewhere that the ancient Greeks thought that redheads were vampires. So I have that going for me.

-Doorknobs are just for looks and actually have nothing to do with opening doors.

AMENDMENT: Added Aug 25

-Deodorant: Not a thing here.

-Shaving?  That's optional. An option not often taken.


2 comments:

  1. I'll be the first one in line when you publish your first book! This stuff is hilarious!!! I laughed out loud at a red light and the bearded guy next to me looked at me strangely. You can't imagine how much we miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am loving reading about your adventures. So glad you have Emily now to share these with you. I have laughed so hard reading this one. Take care if you. Enjoy the adventure and keep the posts coming. Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete