I am including my "Where I'm From" poem that I was required to write for class preparing me for teaching abroad (EDC 554):
Where I’m from
I am from rolling hills
and green pastures
I am from summer days
and firefly nights
with scabbed knees, toes caked in mud,
and hair tangled from the wind.
I am from freckles and blue eyes
a Bluegrass Baby
chasing the kiss of the Sun.
I am from the sound of the night train
and the moonlight casting monsters
in my bedroom past dark.
I am from fried chicken and okra,
the strongest coffee known to man
from gardens
and apple pickins’
From bourbon and beer
and eating on worn quilted blankets.
I am from mistakes
and from forgiveness
from an open-mind
in a closed-hearted town.
I am from drag queens,
cigarettes, and orange mint gum
The smell of lipstick
and burned hair.
I am from autism
from the fear of loving someone
so much
that you would give it all up
in a second.
I am from the sacrifice and fear
that comes from this kind
of sisterhood.
I am from curiosity and passion
and stories I have yet to tell.
I from the clock I can hear ticking
in my heart
in my mind
and on my wrist.
I am from the urge to leave it all behind
at least for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment